Katies Studying Abroad

Thursday, May 6, 2010

It's all in the hands

Today at Hospicio, we were working with a resident who is having difficulty with mobility after having a hip surgery 2 months ago. We briefly met this resident yesterday, and today he remembered us and was willing to partcipicate in PT. He said he felt good, and it was "because of our hands" and the work we did. Moment #1 with tears in the eyes. Throughout the session, he had stood with a walker and support 3 times for 15 seconds each time. He said he hadn't stood in so long, and it felt good. After repositioning him in bed, I asked him if he was comfortable. He said "yes". Then, I asked if he needed anything else before we left, and he said "the only thing I need is you". Moment #2 with tears in the eyes. After I translated for Lisa and Staci, they both appeared to be equally moved by what our resident had said. I assured him we would see him again tomorrow, and in return he blessed us and sent God with us.

We've learned about the power of touch, but it was not until today that I actually felt it. Similarly, the power of a smile, kind eyes, saying "hola" or "buen dia", or holding someone's hand may have the greatest impact of all. We are here, listening to the residents' stories, doing what we can. Today the interaction with this particular resident assured me that it mattered.

No comments:

Post a Comment